This is the first time I make a vegan cake and it was a nice experience. My friend is vegan and it was her birthday the other day. She had never had a cake for her birthday so I decided to give it a try and make her a special cake for her birthday.
I did my research about what ingredients can I use to substitute the egg and dairy, I make a nice and moist chocolate cake. I decided to make my own recipe. I am very happy with the result and to share this recipe with you. This recipe has a lot of ingredients but you can substitute with other ingredients. It is very easy to make. Let’s go to the recipe.
To start the vegan chocolate cake recipe you will need to weigh all the ingredients
Add in a bowl the water, orange juice, apple vinegar, vanilla extract, almond essence, brown sugar and xylitol. Mix all together.
Add in a bowl the almond flour, cacao powder, cornflour, all purpose flour, bicarb, salt, orange zest, roast and cut almonds. Mix all together.
Add in a bowl the olive oil and melted cacao butter and mix together.
Mix the second mix with the third mix
Add the third mix into the second mix. Mix it all together.
Mix the previous mix with the first mix
Once you have mixed the previous mix, add a little bit of the first mix and mix it until everything comes together. Add this mix into the first mix and mix it using a spatula.
Weight the batter
This recipe is for 3 moulds of 8 inches. After you have weighed the batter, divide into 3 equal portions.
The batter is very liquid
There is no eggs and dairy in this batter so that is why the batter is very liquid. It has a lot of water and not a lot of raising agents so it won’t rise to much. It is going to be a very moist chocolate cake.
How to prepare the moulds
Cut baking paper into the shape of the mould and add into the bottom of each mould. This baking paper will help you to unmould your cakes easily.
How to bake the vegan cake
Preheat the oven at 180°C, bake the vegan cakes at 180°C for about 35 minutes.
If you can’t find the following ingredients you can substitute them with:
|Corn Flour||All purpose flour or more Almond Flour|
|Cacao butter||Olive oil or coconut oil|
How to unmould the vegan cakes
After you have baked the vegan chocolate cakes, take it out of the oven and wait until the are completely cool and then you can unmould them.
How to make a vegan chocolate and orange ganache
First you will need to weigh the ingredients. Use fresh orange juice. If you can’t find glucose you can add more agave syrup or any other syrup that you like.
Mix in a container the orange juice, orange zest, sugars. Put it in the microwave and heat it for a few seconds.
Weigh 300 gr of 70% Dark chocolate and put in the microwave. Heat it a few seconds until is completely melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
Once you have the two mixes ready and warm. Use a hand blender and emulsify the first mix and then add a little bit into the melted chocolate, and keep blending it until you have added all the orange juice. Blend until you obtain a nice and smooth emulsion.
Let it rest
Once you have your ganache ready, add it into a container and cover with a plastic. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes. After waiting the 30 minutes, add the ganache into a piping bag using a plain nozzle.
To make the caramelized almonds first cut the almonds and roast them in the oven or in a pan. Once you have your almonds nice and roasted. Add the almonds into a pot and the icing sugar. Melt the icing sugar and keep stirring the mixture using a wooden spoon until the icing sugar melts completely. Stir and stir until the sugar cristalyze. Take the almonds from the heat and put them on top of a baking paper and let them cool down.
Assemble the vegan orange, almonds and chocolate cake.
To assemble the cake you will need the following tools:
- Cake turntable
- Cake board
- Palette Knife Cake Spatula
- Piping bag
- Plain nozzle
- tweezers (optional)
Have your cake turntable ready. Put a little bit of tape in the middle and add your cake board on top, press it gently. This will help you to keep your cake board still when you assemble the cake.
Add your first layer of vegan orange, almond and chocolate cake on top of the cake board.
Add on top of the first layer of vegan cake the ganache in a spiral shape, spread it all around the first layer using a palette knife. Add on top caramelized almonds.
Add another layer of the vegan orange, almond and chocolate cake on top of the caramelized almonds, add more orange and chocolate ganache in a spiral shape, spread it evenly all around the cake layer, add more caramelized almonds.
Add another layer of vegan orange, almonds and chocolate cake on top of the caramelized almonds, more ganache and more caramelized almonds.
For the decoration
Cut strawberries in different shapes, cut orange segments. Once you have done the last layer. Add a few drops of ganache around the cake and decorate the cake with strawberries, orange segments and mint. Enjoy.
- 150 gr All purpose Flour
- 105 gr Almond Flour
- 45 gr Cornflour
- 45 gr Cacao powder
- 100 gr Xylitol
- 135 gr Brown sugar
- 2 tsp Bicarb
- 1 tsp Salt
- 45 gr Olive oil
- 45 gr Cacao butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 11/2 tsp Apple vinegar
- 375 ml Water
- 135 ml Orange juice
- 90 gr Roasted almonds chopped
- 8 gr Orange zest
Chocolate and orange ganache
- 150 gr Orange juice
- 30 gr Agave syrup
- 20 gr Glucose
- 1 gr Salt
- 5 gr Orange zest
- 300 gr Dark chocolate 70%
- 100 gr Almonds
- 100 gr Icing sugar
- 50 gr Strawberries
- 50 gr Orange segments
- n/a Mint
- Mix all the dry ingredients, flours, cacao powder, bicarb, salt, chopped almonds, orange zest, sugars.
- In another coantainer mix the olive oil and the melted cacao butter, the orange juice, water, apple vinegar, vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix all the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Prep 3 moulds adding baking paper to the bottom of each mould.
- Weigh the amount of batter and divide into 3 moulds equaly.
- Bake in a pre-heat oven at 180°C for about 35 minute.
- After 35 minutes take them out of the oven and let them cool down complety before you unmould them.
Orange and chocolate Ganache
- Add into a container the orange juice, orange zest and sugars.
- Heat in the microwave for a few seconds
- Add into another container the dark chocolate and semimelt in the microwave.
- Using a blender mix both mixes and emulsify.
- Blend until you obtain a nice and smooth ganache.
- Add it into a container and let ir cool down for about 30 minutes.
- Roast the chopped almonds until they are nice and roasted.
- Add the icing sugar, using a wooden spoon keep mixing until the are caramelized.
- Put the caramelized almonds on top of a silpat or baking paper and let them cool down.
Assemble the cake
- Add one layer of vegan cake on top of a cake board.
- Using a piping bag with a plain nozzle add the orange and chocolate ganache into it.
- Add it into the first layer of vegan cake in a spiral shape.
- Usinga small spatula spread the ganache around the first layer.
- Add caramelized almonds around on top of the ganache.
- Add another layer of vegan chocolate cake.
- Repit the process, adding ganache and then caramelized almonds.
- Add the last layer of vegan chocolate cake and repit the process, adding the ganache and caramelized almonds.
- Add a few dots of the ganache around the cake, add the strawberries, orange slices and mint.
- Cake turntable